Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Make and share this Orange Slice Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 lb orange slice candy, cut up
- 8 ounces dates, pitted, chopped
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces coconut, flaked
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Sift flour and salt (if using); set aside.
- Combine orange slice candy, pitted dates, pecans and coconut; set aside.
- Beat butter until light. While beating, gradually add sugar. Beat eggs, then add to butter and sugar.
- Combine baking soda and buttermilk.
- Add milk alternating with flour mixture. Blend well after each addition.
- Add candy mixture, mixing well.
- Turn into a 10-inch tube pan that has been greased and floured. Bake for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Remove from oven; combine orange juice and sugar and mix well.
- TOPPING Combine orange juice and sugar. Mix well. Pour over cake.
I love orange slices and I am going to make it and I know I will love this recipe.
This cake was very easy to make, and it smelled delicious baking in the oven. My late grandmother used to make orange slice cake every Christmas, so it was nice to be able to bring this to my family's Christmas dinner this year. Everyone really enoyed it. I followed the recipe exactly--except for not sifting the flour and powdered sugar.
I thought I had lost my mother's recipe forever. As soon as I found this, and made it, it brought back wonderful memories. Thanks for helping make our Christmas party a delightful bitefull.