Recipe by carole in orlando
One of my favorite recipes that I remember my mother making when I was a child of the 40's. These bars contain coconut and maraschino cherries and bring back memories of a kitchen "full of love"!
- 1 lb candy orange slices, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl add the candy orange slices, coconut, walnuts and cherries.
- Over this mixture sift the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs with the water, vanilla and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and brown sugar mixture to the flour mixture and mix until just blended. This mixture will be very stiff.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch in the middle.
- Cool and cut into bars.
- Dust with powdered sugar.