Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A delicious twist to a classic favorite.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, about
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, about
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine, cut into chunks
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 quarts sliced strawberries, sweetened to taste with
- In a bowl, combine 3 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, orange peel, baking soda, and baking powder.
- With your fingers, rub in butter until fine crumbs form.
- Add buttermilk and mix with a fork until dough is evenly moistened.
- Scrape dough onto a floured board; with floured hands, knead just until dough holds together, 15 to 20 turns, adding more flour as required to prevent sticking.
- On a buttered 12x15-inch baking sheet, pat dough into a neat 9-inch wide round.
- With a long floured knife, cut through dough to pan, making 8 equal wedges; leave in place.
- Sprinkle dough lightly with sugar.
- Bake in a 375° oven until golden brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool on pan about 10 minutes.
- Separate wedges, cut shortcakes in half horizontally, and lift off tops.
- Set bottoms on dessert plates, cover equally with about half the strawberries and their juice; spoon about half the sour cream sauce evenly onto fruit.
- Set shortcake tops in place, mound remaining berries equally on portions; top with remaining sauce.
- Sour cream orange sauce: In a bowl, stir together 3 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and 11/2 teaspoons grated orange peel. Makes 3-1/4 cups.