In a word, gorgeous. This gaily flavored dessert comes from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 6 oranges, peeled
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1Preheat oven to 425F and lightly grease two 8" round cake pans.
- 2Mix and sift first four ingredients.
- 3Cut in butter.
- 4Beat egg in a measuring cup and fill to the 1/2 cup mark with milk.
- 5Add egg and milk to the first mixture, stirring quickly until a soft but not sticky dough is formed, adding more milk if necessary.
- 6Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for a few seconds.
- 7Divide dough in half and pat each gently into prepared pans.
- 8Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden and done; turn out onto cooling rack.
- 9Remove membrane from orange sections and sugar to taste.
- 10Place sections between layers and decoratively on top of shortcake.
- 11Combine sauce ingredients, bring to a boil and pour over shortcake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.7
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 55.6 mg
- Sodium 503.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 57.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g