Recipe by mollypaul
In a word, gorgeous. This gaily flavored dessert comes from the Western chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 6 oranges, peeled
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425F and lightly grease two 8" round cake pans.
- Mix and sift first four ingredients.
- Cut in butter.
- Beat egg in a measuring cup and fill to the 1/2 cup mark with milk.
- Add egg and milk to the first mixture, stirring quickly until a soft but not sticky dough is formed, adding more milk if necessary.
- Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for a few seconds.
- Divide dough in half and pat each gently into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden and done; turn out onto cooling rack.
- Remove membrane from orange sections and sugar to taste.
- Place sections between layers and decoratively on top of shortcake.
- Combine sauce ingredients, bring to a boil and pour over shortcake.