Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Confident Cooking. Freezing time not included.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (the gelato will only be as good as the orange juice you use!)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Place confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, water and lemon juice in a large pan; stir over medium heat 4-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved; bring to boil; reduce heat; simmer gently for 15 minutes; remove from heat; pour into a large bowl; allow to cool; stir in liqueur.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually beat in the extra icing sugar until thick and glossy; using a metal spoon, gently fold egg whites into orange mixture; pour mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for about 30 minutes or freeze until just solid.
After seeing the other glowing review, I had high hopes for this recipe, and have really wanted to find a good gelato recipe.But this wasn't it.Although a bit overly sweet, it was refreshing, but more like sherbet, NOT gelato.I followed the recipe to a T, with no alterations.It made 8 medium sized servings, with none left over for second helpings, but no one wanted any.Overall, it wasn't bad, but just wasn't what we were looking for.
I halved this recipe--and I am glad I did--because we would have eaten it all. I cut back on the sugar just a little, used a little extra lemon juice, and flavored with Cointreau. Absolutely lovely!