Prep 3 hrs 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A low-cal/healthy dessert that is a great way to use strawberries when in season. This makes extra strawberry ice that can be used in extra orange shells or for another meal. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (January 1985)
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled or 4 cups frozen strawberries, unthawed
- 4 oranges
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 4 strawberries, garnish (optional)
- Cut the 4 cups of fresh strawberries in half and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze until firm (2 hours) - obviously if using frozen berries you skip this step.
- Cut off upper third of each orange. Hollow out shells and set shells aside. The orange pulp can be used for another use.
- Using a food processor chop berries with the sugar using on/off turns, then process until slushy (5 minutes).
- With machine running, add lemon juice and egg whites through the feed tube and mix until light and thick (2-3 minutes).
- Spoon 1/2 cup strawberry ice into each orange shell.
- Freeze for at least 1 hour but can be prepared up to 3 days in advance -- if frozen solid let soften in refrigerator before serving.
- Top each serving with a whole strawberry if desired.
This was a nice light dessert. I didn't serve it in the orange peels, but if I was serving this to company, I would. The berry flavor was almost too strong for us, so we added Sprite to it and made it kind of like a slushie. It was very good. I want to try this with other kinds of frozen fruit!