Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dish is great with a fish dish. Perhaps you would like it with one of my fish recipes! I guess you would call this marketing for my recipes. Serve it with your own favorite recipe. It is good with chicken too.
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup basmati rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock (or Vegetable stock)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, chopped
- In a large saucepan; heat oil.
- Add Sesame seeds, stirring constantly, brown seeds about 2 minutes.
- Add Rice and Onion, saute 3 minutes.
- Pour in the Chicken stock (For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Stock).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the stock is absorbed (drain if necessary, don't overcook the rice).
- Stir in the orange zest and serve.
I used long grain rice and let it simmer for only 15 minutes,in a pan with a tight cover, and then removed the still unopened pan from the heat, and let it sit for an additional 10 minutes. In my opinion, the key to long grain rice that just tumbles on to the plate is making sure that every grain is coated with the oil.
I loved it! Simple, easy and makes my heart and belly wanting for more:) You know, all these great recipes leave me wondering about how am I going to keep firm on my ground of not putting on those nasty kilograms:)!!
I had this for lunch today, and thought it was nice. I don't think I've quite got the knack of zesting yet, because I took ages to zest the orange, and yet it tasted slightly bitter in the recipe. The sesame seeds are a nice addition, though I felt this dish could do with a few more spices.