Recipe by evelyn/athens
Top these with Strawberry Preserves and Double Cream.
Top Review by Mirj
These were truly superb! Not too sweet, and a perfect base for some orange marmalade. I used dried cranberries instead of currants, and they added just the right amount of sweetness to the recipe. I am certainly going to make this again, especially since my Microplane zester gets the orange peel so fluffly and fine it just totally incorporates itself into the scone.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into bits
- 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 3⁄4 cup cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in currants and zest.
- Beat 1 egg with 1 egg yolk in small bowl; whisk in cream.
- Add to flour-butter mixture and stir until dough pulls away from sides of bowl.
- Turn out on lightly-floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Roll out to thickness of 1 inch.
- Cut into 3 inch rounds with cookie cutter.
- Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart.
- Brush tops with egg white and sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- Bake until puffy and light-brown, about 18 minutes.