This dish is great for a refreshing summertime meal. All the flavors and textures complement each other quite harmoniously. This is one of the brother's favorite dishes that he requests almost every time I ask! You could even mix it up and throw in a handful of dried cranberries.
- 2 cups wild rice (either solely wild rice, or a mixture of rices with wild rice)
- 4 -5 cups vegetable broth (amount of liquid depends on what kind of rice you use) or 4 -5 cups water (amount of liquid depends on what kind of rice you use)
- 1 cup pecans (chopped or whole)
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 oranges, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 juice and lemon, zest of
- 1 -2 garlic clove, grated
- 1⁄2 cup white distilled vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Rinse the rice in a fine strainer. Combine rice and cooking liquid in a large pan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the rice, you want it to be a little chewy because it will soak up the dressing later. After rice is done cooking, use a fine strainer to rinse rice under cold water. Place rinsed and well-strained rice in a large bowl.
- Toast Pecans in a 375°F oven for 10-12 minutes (reduce time if nuts are chopped), stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Remove from oven, and cool to room temperature.
- To make dressing, in a small bowl mix together orange zest, orange juice, lemon zest, lemon juice, grated garlic and white distilled vinegar (you can also add a little olive oil if desired).
- In the large bowl with rice, combine golden raisins, chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, and dressing mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. For best flavor, refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
- Mix in toasted pecans immediately before serving so they remain nice and crunchy. Enjoy your healthy and delicious meal!