Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is from 1001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes. I bet this would freeze well (before you add the half-and-half). You can use Hubbard, butternut or acorn squash. Try substituting sweet potatoes.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 lbs winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 strip orange rind, 3 by 1/2 inches
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 6 orange slices
- chives, chopped
- Spray a large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté onion until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices; cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add water, squash, apple and orange rind to the saucepan; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered until squash is tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Process soup in a food processor or with a stick blender until smooth; add orange juice and half-and-half.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or chilled.
- Pour into bowls and top each with an orange slice and sprinkle with chives.