Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A lovely Dessert whaich tastes as good as it looks!Ideal for a dinner party
- 6 large cooking pears or 6 large dessert pears, peeled and cored
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon currants, soaked in a little orange juice until plump
- 250 ml orange juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, diced
- 60 ml brandy
- 125 ml smooth apricot jam, melted with brandy
- 500 ml milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 40 g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, scraped seeds
- 1 finely grated orange, peel of
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream
- 45 ml orange liqueur (I used Van de Hum)
- Sprinkle pears with sugar, orange peel and currants.
- Place pears in a buttered ovenproof dish and pour orange juice around them.
- Dot pears with butter.
- Cover and bake at 180 C for 45-75 minutes.
- Basting occasionally until pears are very tender.
- Remove from oven and cool (pears will firm as they cool).
- Brush with apricot jam and brandy.
- Grill pears under preheated grill until tops are crisp and lightly charred.
- To make creme anglaise, heat milk in a heavy-based sauce pan or a double boiler until warm.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Slowly add warm milk, whisking constantly.
- Return to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring, until sauce is thick enough to coat back of a wooden spoon.
- Do not boil sauce as it will curdle.
- Add grated orange peel and remove from stove.
- Leave until cold, then blend in whipped cream and liqueur.
- Serve very well chilled with pears at room temperature.