Recipe by s'kat
Sweet rolls that fill your kitchen with the happy scent of orange and cinnamon. Perfect for a weekend with family or friends. Prep time includes rising times.
Top Review by P4
These are wonderful! Not too sweet, perfect for breakfast. I had a bit of trouble with the rising times - they took much longer to rise than indicated in the recipe. But still - they did rise, and they baked up well. The only change I made was to omit the nuts and use dried cranberries in place of the raisins. The dough was easy to make and easy to handle. Great roles, S'kat!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing bowl and pan
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk, plus more as needed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons minced orange zest
- raisins (optional)
- chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, yeast, salt and sugar in container of food processor fitted with steel blade and process 5 seconds.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and egg, and pulse a few times, until well combined.
- With machine running, drizzle most of milk through feed tube.
- Process just until a dough ball forms.
- If necessary, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Knead by hand on a lightly floured surface a minute or two longer, adding more flour or milk as necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Butter a bowl and place dough in it, turning to coat.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free area, about 2 hours.
- Roll out dough into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle.
- Brush liberally with melted butter, then spread with a mixture of sugar, cinnamon and orange zest.
- If desired, add raisins or chopped nuts.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, then cut into 1- 1 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Place rolls in a buttered round pan.
- Place one or two rolls in middle, and work the others out around it, so that all are touching.
- Cover and let rise until puffy, about 1 hour.
- While rolls are rising, boil together 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice until thickened.
- Just before baking, brush slices lightly with butter, then liberally with this mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degreee oven until nicely browned, 20- 30 minutes.