Recipe by Sydney Mike
Can't remember where the original of this recipe came from, but I've had in on file for over 25 years! I find oranges and chicken to be such a great combination! Preparation time does not include cooking the rice. Sometimes I substitute Triple-Sec for the Curacao.
Top Review by loof
Very nice chicken recipe! Easy to make but has an elegant look and taste. I used crushed red pepper flakes on the chicken instead of ground red pepper, otherwise made as directed. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 orange
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 10 ounces orange juice
- 2 teaspoons aromatic bitters
- 1⁄2 cup orange Curacao
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put breasts in baking dish & LIGHTLY sprinkle with red pepper. Cover & bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove peel from the orange & slice half of the peel into julienne strips, setting them aside & discarding the rest of the peel.
- Put julienne strips of peel in a saucepan with enough water to cover, & bring to boil. Simmer 15 minutes, then drain well & set aside.
- Section the orange & set them aside for garnish.
- Cook rice according to package, but omit any required salt.
- Add parsley & basil, mixing well.
- For the sauce, stir together the flour & sugar in a saucepan, then stir in the juice, cooking & stirring until thickened & bubbly. Remove from heat & add reserved orange peel, bitters & curacao.
- Slicing across the grain at a 45 degree angle, cut the breasts into slices 2" wide. Reassemble each breast & return to baking dish.
- Spoon sauce over the breasts & return to oven, & bake, uncovered, 10 minutes until heated through.
- Arrange breasts on the hot cooked rice & spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with reserved orange sections & several sprigs of parsley.