Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
The original of this make-over recipe was found on ZAAR, but I wanted a more intense orange flavor and a thinner sauce.
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 4.92 ml orange zest, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
- 4.92 ml orange extract
- In a deep sauce pan, combine sugar, orange juice and orange zest.
- Bring to a boil over high heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring almost constantly, being careful not to burn the mixture.
- Momentarily remove the pan from the heat; add the whipping cream, stirring to mix well.
- Return the pan to the stove; bring to a boil, cooking for 2 minutes and stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; add the extract. Stir to combine well.
- Cool and serve warm or cold over pound cake, ice cream, or whatever!
This is really good sauce. I made this to go with Harvest Cake. The flavor is incredible, like an orange creamsicle. I am going to serve the rest with some french toast tomorrow. Made and Reviewed for PRMR Tag. Thanks :)
Oh my! Ten stars for sure. Delicious served over buttered and grilled slices of pound cake, scoop of ice cream and garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top. Would also be good served over a piece of sponge cake or fruit cake. Maybe add some drained mandarin oranges to the sauce for the last few minutes. This sauce would also be good for individual trifles in wide-mouth wine glasses with a little cake, fruit, this delicious orange sauce and whipped cream on top. Yummy! Update: Made it again and served it over French Toast with sliced fresh oranges and strawberries, and a sprinkle of icing sugar on top.
I'm with the other reviewer... I'm having a hard time not wanting to drink this! We used it over sherbert. YUM!