Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I like to make this for company since you can get it ready ahead of time up until the final baking step. It looks both pretty and impressive, and the orange flavor is more subtle than you'd expect. This recipe originally came from Spice Islands, but I adapted it since I didn't have the spice blend they called for. This is a healthy and elegant meal (not to mention delicious) when served with a leafy salad, brown rice, and asparagus.
- 2 oranges, unpeeled and sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix the lemon pepper, garlic, and parsley in a small dish.
- Place the slices of ONE orange in a single layer in a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish.
- Place onion slices on top.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle 1/2 of the herb mixture over all.
- Roast the orange and onion mixture in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the onions look browned and tender.
- Remove dish from oven.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450F.
- Push the onion and orange slices to the sides of the dish.
- Place the salmon in the center of the dish and sprinkle with the remaining herb mixture.
- Spoon orange and onion slices back on top of the salmon.
- Whisk the orange juice, lemon juice, and honey together in a small bowl.
- Pour over the salmon.
- Roast for about 12-15 minutes, or until the salmon is opaque in the center.
- Discard the cooked oranges.
- Serve the salmon with roasted onions on the side, and garnished with the remaining (uncooked) orange slices.
I'm so happy I found this! I made this a few times from a recipe that I found in a supermarket circular. I lost it and thought I would look to see if it was on here. This is really good and it is great for company. I serve it with citrus rice and broccoli. Thanks so much for posting!
This was delicious. The juicy fresh oranges with the light flaky salmon are a perfect match. Served it with brown rice and roasted asparagus.
This was very easy to make and very tasty. The slices of onion came out with a very sharp taste that was slightly on the piquante side, or so it seemed to me. I thought that maybe the oranges had an effect on the onion. I wonder if anyone else experienced this?