Recipe by veggiechick
This is my take on a dish from the book, Madhur Jaffrey's World-of-the-East Vegetarian Cooking. Since the rice has already been cooked you don't have to bake it at all but I thought it gave it a nice dessert flavor. Enjoy!
Top Review by UmmBinat
Too sweet with organic cane sugar in the same amount as splenda plus the raisins I ended up avoiding. I used sweet butter (unsalted) to be healthier and tastier. It was definitely dessert like. Very much like recipe#388929. Made for Visiting Iran(Persia) in June 2012!
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 orange rind, julienned
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond
- 2 cups frozen cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the margarine in a flame and oven proof dish.
- Add carrots and stir-fry until lightly browned. Remove carrots and set butter dish aside.
- In another pan, place 4 cups of water and the orange zest. Bring to a full rolling boil. Drain and rinse under cold water. Place back in pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the pan with the orange, add sugar, almonds and a 1/2 cup of water. Boil. Add carrots, raisins and rice. Stir just enough to break up any clumps in the rice.
- Transfer to the dish with butter in it, cover and bake for 10-20 minutes.