Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
This is a rich and creamy treat. The pan of boiling water keeps the custard from curdling. This is my sister Snooky's recipe.
- 1 2⁄3 cups skim milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup raw instant rice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Coat a 1 qt deep casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- In small pan over medium heat, heat the milk till very hot but NOT boiling.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, beat eggs.
- Stir in sugar, rice, vanilla, orange, orange rind and salt.
- Stir in hot milk.
- Pour into casserole dish.
- Place casserole in 9x9x2 pan.
- Place in oven; fill pan with boiling water to a depth of 1".
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir .
- Bake another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake 10-15 minutes longer till knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove casserole from water bath.
- cool custard on wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature or chill at least 1 hr and serve cold.