Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good side for just about any roasted meat.
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1⁄4 cup barley, sorted and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a saucepan over med-high heat, bring orange juice and broth to a boil; stir in rice and barley.
- Add in wine, thyme, salt, and pepper; decrease heat to low and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed and rice and barley are tender, about 55-60 minutes.
- Add in parsley and nuts; fluff with a fork; serve.
Nice, I made it with my Recipe #406518 and it was such a nice compliment I I like the wine and broth mixture, although I did use fresh thyme, I have tons of fresh herbs, but I really enjoyed it. It was light but satisfying at the same time. Wouldn't change a thing! Excellent Recipe, simple taste, fresh and just plain good!
This was fabulous. I served it with grilled pork loin chops and grilled asparagus. I used quick barley, so I added it the last 15 mins of cooking. Very nice flavor. Thanks for submitting this wonderful recipe.