Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found this recipe in a local cookbook, Southern Traditions. They are not hard to make and have a wonderful orange flavor. Great for anytime, but look real pretty on a Christmas tray. Cook time is mostly chill time.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup pecan halves (about)
- Cream shortening and then gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Add evaportated milk, orange rind and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to creamed mixture aznd beat well.
- Shape dough into two 12"x2" retangles.
- Place pecan halves, lengthwise, down the center of each rectangle.
- Fold the sides of the dough tightly over the pecans.
- Wrap logs in waxed paper and chill at least 2 hours.
- Cut dough into 1/4 inch slices and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 5- 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool cookies on wire racks.