1 hr 5 mins
LUv 2 BaKE's Note:
An easy and delicious moist quick bread.The sweetness of the raisins enhance the light orange flavour. A variation of Irish soda bread. Homemade Irish Soda Bread is as much a part of Irish culture as the love of a cup of tea. Recipe from Kraft Canada.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cream of wheat (dry cereal)
- 2 tablespoons cream of wheat (dry cereal)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (or peanut oil)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 1/4 cups 1% fat buttermilk (or skim milk with lemon juice)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1Mix flour, 1/2 cup of the cereal, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in medium bowl.
- 2Gradually add oil, stirring until mixture forms fine crumbs; Add raisins; mix well.
- 3Place buttermilk, eggs, and orange peel in a large bowl; beat with wire whisk until well blended.
- 4Add flour mixture into buttermilk mixture; stir until just moistened.
- 5Place dough on floured surface; knead 10 times.
- 6Shape into a ball; place on greased baking sheet which has been sprinkled with the remaining 2 tbsp of cereal.
- 7Flatten ball to 7 inch round loaf; cut 1/4 inch deep 4 inch long "X" in the center of the loaf.
- 8Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown; cool on wire rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange-Raisin Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (59 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 159.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 21.7 mg
- Sodium 126.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g