Prep 55 mins
Cook 18 mins
From Sunset Magazine, a delightful fall dessert served in miniature pumpkins, either Jack Be Little or Munchkin. Recipeeditor would not recognize the 8 mini pumpkins needed for this recipe but the how-to is included in the directions.
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- finely shredded orange peel
- Rinse pumpkins. Pierce each top deeply with a knife or fork several times. Set pumpkins (a few at a time, if they don't all fit) on a rack at least 1 inch above 11/2 inches of water in a 14-inch wok or a 5- to 6-quart pan. Cover and bring water to a boil over high heat. Keep boiling and steam pumpkins until tender when pierced, 15 to 20 minutes. If needed, add more boiling water.
- Let pumpkins cool until comfortable to touch, about 10 to 15 minutes. With a small, sharp knife, cut down and around each stem to make an opening about 2 inches wide. Lift out stem end and reserve. With a small spoon, scoop seeds from pumpkins (without breaking through skin) and discard.
- In a bowl, whisk half-and-half, egg yolks, sugar, liqueur, and coriander. Fill pumpkins equally with egg mixture.
- Return filled pumpkins (a few at a time, if they don't all fit) and lids to a rack at least 1 inch above 11/2 inches of water in the wok or pan. Drape foil over pumpkins to prevent condensation on the pan lid from dripping into filling. Cover pan and bring water to a boil over high heat. Keep water at a boil, and steam until filling looks set in center and jiggles only slightly all over when gently shaken, 12 to 16 minutes.
- Gently transfer pumpkins to plates or a dish and set lids alongside if desired. Serve warm or cool. Garnish each pumpkin with shredded orange peel.