Recipe by Buster's friend
These are in anticipation of success with my "Long Island Cheese" & "Rouge Vif d'Etampes" pumpkins! Adapted from the recipe in Autumn 2007 Food&Drink, a magazine put out by the LCBO.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, raw
- 1⁄2 cup pumpkin seeds, raw
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, canned
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For the streusel: stir flour with icing sugar and baking powder. Add melted butter and vanilla & mix lightly with a fork until moist crumbs form. Set aside with 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds.
- For the muffins: preheat oven to 375°F Spread 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet & toast 5 to 7 minutes - until a few begin to brown & they smell good - watch them closely. Cool them off the cookie sheet.
- Grease a 12 muffin tin, including the top (make big muffin topps release easily too).
- Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, grate the zest of the orange. Squeeze 1/4 cup orange juice in with the zest. add the egg & beat lightly. Stir in pumpkin puree, buttermilk, juice, vanilla and butter.
- Fold wet pumpkin mixture into flour until mostly moistened. Then stir in toasted pumpkin seeds until well mixed; divide batter among cups, heaping slightly in centre (batter completely fills cups). Sprinkle with raw pumpkin seeds; then top liberally with streusel crumbs. Press seeds and crumbs gently into muffin tops.
- Bake in center of preheated oven for 25 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into muffin centre comes out clean and tops are lightly golden.
- Rest on cooling rack for 5 minutes; then lift each muffin out of pan onto rack. Cool completely; to serve, lightly sieve a spoonful of confectioner's sugar over muffin tops, if desired.