Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
Tis worth the effort. From Holiday Season book
- 8 whole oranges
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup florida orange juice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Cut top from each orange.
- Scoop out pulp with spoon.
- Cut picot edge with zig-zag cut with scissors.
- Set aside.
- Mix gelatin, ¼ cup brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger in medium saucepan.
- Beat egg yolks and 1 cup water; stir into gelatin mixture.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until gelatin dissolves and mixture thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in orange juice, pumpkin and orange rind.
- Chill, stirring occasionally, until partially set.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining ¼ cup brown sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into pumpkin mixture.
- Turn into prepared orange shell.
- Chill until set.
- Garnish with a small amount of whipped topping if desired.