Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another tasty bread using pumpkin!
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 medium orange
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!)
- 3 1⁄3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 2⁄3 cup chopped dates (, or raisins)
- Preheat oven to 350- grease two 9x5 loaf pans.
- Cut whole orange into wedges& remove seeds& membranes; place in blender with water& puree.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream shortening& sugar thoroughly.
- Add orange puree to creamed mixture, then eggs& pumpkin, and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture, stir in pecans and dates (or raisins).
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans, and bake 1 hour or until tests done.
- Remove from pans& place on wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe smells absolutely wonderful as it is baking and is great for using up oranges (juice the oranges and add water to get the 2/3 cup water). I adjusted mine to cut some of the sugar (1 cup Splenda, 1 cup sugar, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar), use up some pumpkin pie spices (Trader Joe's, 3 generous teaspoons), and I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract and an