Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Southern Living; a must for my fall baking. Smells incredible.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- Cream shortening; gradually add sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 5 ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Add water and orange juice, mixing well.
- Stir in raisins and orange rind.
- Spoon batter into two greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire racks.
Delicious bread! Easy to make and smelled wonderful as it was baking. Will definitely make this again.
This finished out my week of pumpkin baking. Wow, another winner. The bread was slightly dense. Had a terrific orange-pumpkin-spice flavor. We ate it warm with some honey butter. Yummmmmy!!! Thanks Nurse Di.
Oh my goodness. This bread tastes so delicious. Turned out very moist and tender. You are right, it does fill the house with a wonderful smell. Family and I throughly devoured this. Thanks Nurse Di.