Recipe by mollypaul
A delicious accent to pound cake, angel cake or dessert waffles. From the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated rind of (you'll need 2/3 cup orange juice)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, orange rind and water.
- Bring to the boil and cook until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour some of the hot mixture over beaten egg; blend well.
- Return to heat, add butter and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add fruit juices and beat until well blended.
- Cool before serving.