Recipe by Winnipeg *Mel*
One of those magical cakes where you get a sauce on the bottom and a cake on top. This one is a bit healthier and lower in fat than many desserts. From The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
Top Review by Tebo
Ah nothing like the old 70's self saucing cake eh?? This was good served with a bit of whip cream. I would have liked a bit more sauce so next time I'll just make more sauce!! Thanks Cornelia
- 2⁄3 cup white flour
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour (or use all white flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk, plus
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 6 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flours, baking powder and cinnamon in an ungreased 9 x 9 inch baking pan (yes, you can mix it right in the pan).
- In a small bowl, mix together milk, 1/4 cup brown sugar, molasses and oil.
- Add to dry mixture in baking pan.
- Mix until batter is smooth, then spread it out evenly.
- Combine hot water, orange juice concentrate and 3 T brown sugar (you can use the same small bowl).
- Carefully pour over the batter in the baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Best served hot.
- (If you have leftovers, use the microwave to warm up a serving.).