Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very special dessert. Orange afficianados will go crazy over it!
Make and share this Orange Pound Cake with Orange Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*F degrees.
- Lightly coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in medium bowl; set aside.
- With vegetable peeler remove peel from orange; coarsely chop.
- Cut orange in half and squeeze 1/2 cup juice.
- Process sugar and peel in food processor, pulsing until peel is finely chopped.
- Combine buttermilk, 1/4 cup orange juice and vanilla in a small glass measuring cup (Reserve remaining juice for caramel sauce).
- Beat butter and orange-sugar mixture in large mixer bowl on medium-high speed until combined.
- Beat in egg and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- At low speed, add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 15 minutes; invert and remove pan.
- Make Orange-Caramel Sauce: Meanwhile, combine water and sugar in small saucepan; stir with wooden spoon until sugar is moistened.
- Bring to simmer over medium-low heat; cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- Uncover and cook until sugar turns amber, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in reserved orange juice (mixture will bubble vigorously).
- Return to heat and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Cool sauce and serve with cake.
Today is my birthday and I had my wife cook this cake. It is very good. I like anything with orange in it. Thanks for such an easy recipe. For sure 5 stars.
You have done it again Miriam. I substituted the left over orange juice for the water in the glaze. It was a really really good cake and I thank you for the recipe.