Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup potato, Riced, cooked
- In large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In small bowl, beat together egg, oil, orange juice, orange rind and vanilla.
- Stir in prepared potatoes.
- Add orange mixture all at once to dry ingredients and stir to mix well; sift in nuts.
- Turn into greased 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Bake in 325 oven 60 min. until cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 10 min.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.
This one is hard to rate. The dough was quite thick, and resulted in a dense, not so sweet, but fragrant bread. There is much less oil than in most quick bread recipes, and eaten as is, I would not give it any higher than 4 stars. However, lightly toasted and buttered (British style?), this bread becomes definitely worthy of 5 stars. If you make it, please try it that way and see. I put some sliced candied kumquats on the top of the bread in the picture, and omitted the vanilla, because I think it distracts in fruit breads. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us. It was interesting.