Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a good basic recipe for pork Carnitas in the crock pot. A good throw it in the crock pot and forget about it recipe. This recipe is without any "heat" so my 2 year old can enjoy it too. If you want the spicier version just add some of your favorite hot peppers diced up to the mix in the crock pot. I serve this on toasted corn tortillas shells with home-made guacamole, cilantro, diced green onion, cheddar cheese and green salsa Verde.
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium whole orange, sliced into wheels
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, diced
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- jane's krazy mixed-up salt, to taste (salt, dried herbs and spices)
- 20 small corn tortillas
- Place 1/2 of the oranges wheels, onion, and garlic on the bottom of your crock pot.
- Then add all of your boneless pork shoulder to the crock pot.
- Sprinkle pork with fresh cracked pepper, Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up salt and the rest of your garlic.
- Add the rest of your oranges and onion, to the top of the pork.
- Cover crock pot and cook on high for 1 hour then turn crock pot to low and cook for about 5 to 6 hours or until the pork is falling apart. (Turn the crock pot back up to high the last hour of cooking.)
- Remove any pieces of orange peel you can find and discard.
- Useing 2 forks pull apart pork untill you get a shredded look.
- Serve over toasted corn tortillas with your favorite accouterments such as -- fresh made guacamole, cilantro, green onion, and green salsa Verde.
- Enjoy :).
I made & served this as indicated in the recipe, using another chef's Authentic Fresh Guacamole, & IT'S GREAT TASTING! Next time, though, I'll wrap the whole thing in a soft home-made tortilla before serving! Thanks for a great recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]