Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found this recipe in the 1/14/08 issue of Womans World magazine. This sounds delicious! Posting for safe keeping. It says this is a lighten-up recipe and less than half the calories and 2/3 less fat than the classic version.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- orange zest, strips (for garnish) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2" loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt; reserve.
- On medium speed beat granulated sugar, oil and egg whites until blended. On low, beat in poppy seeds, 1 1/2 t zest and flour mixture.
- Beat in 3/4 c milk until smooth.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely on rack.
- Whisk confectioners' sugar with remaining 2 t of milk and 1/2 t zest; pour over cake.
- Garnish with orange zest strips, if desired.
We really enjoyed this lovely cake. It was quick and easy to make with terrific results. It has a lovely flavor and excellent texture. The crumb is perfect. Made for Whats on the Menu Tag Game.