Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I adopted this recipe from the RecipeZaar account. I have not had a chance to make this myself.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seed
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Beat butter with orange zest until it whitens and holds soft peaks.
- Beat in sugar until well blended.
- Whisk together yolks and vanilla.
- Add to butter mixture and mix scraping down sides as necessary.
- Add flour and poppy seeds mixing only to combine Divide dough into 4 pieces and Roll into 4 logs, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Dough should be frozen for 30 minutes so that it can be easily cut or you can freeze, wrapped well for later use.
- Slice 3/8 inch rounds.
- Bake on a parchment lined sheet pan until firm and lightly and evenly browned- about 12-15 minutes.
- The cookies must be cooked through to be tender.
I make orange and poppy seed cake all the time, never thought about the cookie variation. These are superb. I hate rolling out dought and the freezing and slicing technique is a life saver for me. I may just make all my cookies this way in the future. A great Middle-Eastern style cookie, we enjoyed these with thick Turkish coffee.
Light and crispy, nice and orangey. I increased the sugar to 3/4 cup and added a pinch of salt. Personal preference.
Oh, these were a wonderful treat! I love poppy seeds. A very nice variety to add to my Christmas plates!!