Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe on the Australian Better Homes and Gardens website. It has quite a light orange flavour, so if you prefer a stronger flavour you may like to add a bit more orange zest.
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 185 g butter
- 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade or 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 2 -3 teaspoons finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 100 g butter
- 100 g cream cheese
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1 -2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to moderate (180C). Brush a deep, 20cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil. Line the base and side with baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the almonds and poppy seeds. Make a well in the centre.
- Place the butter, sugar, jam, rind and juice in a pan. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
- Add the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Set aside for at least 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing:.
- Beat the butter and cream cheese with electric beaters until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and juice or essence gradually and beat until thick and creamy. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and decorate with strips of orange rind.
I made this replacing all of the sugar with Splenda and using no sugar added marmalade. It came out delicious. I can have a small slice if I want to and DH loves it. Yummy. Made for PAC, Spring2013.