Recipe by Pink Princess
This is from the side of a packet of sugar - need to throw it out, so I'm posting it for safe keeping. When I do make it, if I have some spare calories in my diet, I'll be making a lemon cream cheese frosting with poppy seeds in it instead of just dusting with icing sugar.
Top Review by aussiefeast
I made this cake as is except I used orange juice in place of the milk and only used 1/8 cup poppy seeds as I thought it looked enough in the batter. I used a square baking pan which is my preference and the cake came out light and fluffy. The only other change I would make is to add a bit more zest for more orange flavour or add orange icing. Good recipe!
- 250 g butter, softened
- 236.59 ml white sugar
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 4 eggs
- 395.10 ml plain flour
- 14.78 ml baking powder
- 78.07 ml poppy seed
- 29.58 ml milk
- icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 170*C.
- Grease and line 22 cm round cake pan.
- Cream butter, sugar and orange zest until pale.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Sift flour and baking powder and add to butter mixture, mix to combine.
- Fold in poppy seeds and milk.
- Spread into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes before turning out.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.