Recipe by justcallmetoni
I found this on healthdiscovery.net and began making a few changes to suit my own tastes and preferences. The original was for lemon biscotti and can easily be switched back. One point per cookie.
Top Review by Boomette
I used all purpose flour. I reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup. I used 2 eggs and added fresh orange juice. The dought was hard to mix so I added a bit more orange juice and half a lemon juice. The taste is good but I don't taste the ground almond. Thanks Toni. Made for HOliday tag.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely ground almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, ground almonds, poppy seeds, baking powder and baking soda) together in a bowl.
- Combine the zest, egg, egg whites and extract in a second bowl. Add the dry mixture and mix well. Form the dough into 2 logs each 8-9 inches long.
- Place logs onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool slightly and cut diagonally into 1/2 inch slices. Put cut slices soft sides down back on the cookie sheets and bake slices another 8 to 10 minutes until dry.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.