Recipe by aunty carol
This recipe comes from a famous vegetarian restaurant in Bath, England that I visited and had this for my dessert. Great with a scoop of good vanilla ice-cream. Yum.
- 375 g butter
- 375 g caster sugar
- 9 eggs (beaten well)
- 375 g polenta (fine)
- 750 g ground almonds
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 oranges, juice and zest of
- 50 ml water
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 250 icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange flower water
recipe for oranges in caramel
- 3 oranges (sliced)
- 375 g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 100 g butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar very well till light in colour, add beaten eggs gradually, if it starts to curdle add 1 tablespoon of ground almonds.
- Add ground almonds, polenta, salt. juice & zest of oranges & vanilla extract, mix well.
- Then add bicarbonate of soda, mix in quickly, put into 7" and 9" tins.
- 7" round cook for about 35 minutes.
- 9" round cook for about 45 minutes.
- Or bake in a 13" round (not sure how long check after 1 hour).
- Make syrup by placing all ingredients into a saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cool cakes slightly before adding syrup, pierce holes into cake with a skewer and then pour over syrup.
- Make oranges in caramel.
- Peel and slice the oranges, remove any pips.
- Place all the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes. At the end add the juice and zest of one orange and 2 tablespoons of orange flower water. Add the orange slices to the syrup whilst still warm. Leave to cool.
- Serve with a slice of cake.