Recipe by Smileekid
I was making orange sorbet one day when I saw a can of pineapple in my pantry! I decided to add them in and it turned out fantastic! cooking time includes ice cream machine time, time spent in freezer, and chill time!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups of freshly squeezed orange juice (about 4-5 oranges depending on size)
- 120 ounces pineapple chunks (in it's own juice)
- orange zest (1 orange)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put water and sugar in a pan or small pot.
- Boil and stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let boil for about 1 more minute. But don't stir it!
- Turn your stove off and set the sugar syrup aside.
- Grate 1 orange and set aside its' zest.
- Juice the oranges. Make sure you strain out the seeds and the pulp! (You can leave some of the pulp behind if you'd wish).
- Separate the can of pineapples in half, and put one half into a blender to blend the pineapple chunks together into a puree. Set the other half aside for later.
- Mix the sugar syrup, pineapple puree, orange juice, and orange zest together in a large container.
- Chill the mixture for an hour or so.
- After chilling, pour into your ice cream machine and let it run for 25-30 minutes.It MAY overflow if your machine cannot hold more than 1.5 quarts.
- In the last 10 minutes, add in the pineapple chunks.
- When the machine is done you can serve it immediately (it'll be a bit mushy), or transfer the sorbet into an airtight container and stick it in your freezer for 2 hours. Make sure your freezer isn't colder than -15 degrees celsius or the sorbet will turn into an ice block. ):.
- Enjoy! :).