Recipe by Lennie
I was just tickled with this recipe. Many years ago I had a similar recipe that used fresh strawberries and strawberry jello; it was very pretty and very tasty and I was sad when I lost my copy. But I like orange-pineapple even more than strawberries, so this recipe, found in a Jell-O cookbook, is a newfound treasure! Serve as a sweet salad, or a dessert. Perfect for a potluck or bbq.
Top Review by Merlot
This is a very nice summer dish. Light and so refreshing. Makes for a very pretty presentation. I took this to a pot luck BBQ and it was a hit!!! (I should have make two of them). Thanks for sharing this, Lennie.
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- cold orange juice, as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (6 ounce) package orange gelatin (or 2 3oz pkgs)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple well, reserving juice.
- Place pineapple juice in a 2-cup measuring cup and add enough cold orange juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid.
- Place orange jello in a large bowl and add boiling water; stir at least 2 minutes or until jello is completely dissolved.
- Stir pineapple/orange juice into jello.
- Reserve one cup of the jello mixture; leave this at room temperature.
- Stir half of the crushed pineapple into jello mixture in bowl; pour into a 6 cup mold that you've sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (like Pam).
- Refrigerate mold about two hours, or until set but not firm-- mixture should stick to your finger when touched, and should mound.
- Place cream cheese into mixing bowl and stir in reserved gelatin (what you've been keeping at room temp); whisk well until smooth.
- Stir in remaining crushed pineapple; spoon this mixture over gelatin layer in mold.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm; unmold and serve.