Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is great served hot with lamb, poultry or game birds.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup raw long-grain rice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, cook celery and green onions in butter until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and brown lightly, stirring frequently, for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add orange juice, salt and 1 cup water, heat to boiling.
- Cover and reduce heat, simmering the rice for 25 minutes until it is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
- Gently stir in the orange pieces and almonds.
This is a wonderful pilaf recipe. I made this for a family friend who is coming over with his family to celebrate his 40th birthday in my house today. I used Sunflower cooking oil as a substitute for butter. I used an additional 3/4th cup of water as well. I garnished this with some chopped green onions and some raisins. This rice is very impressive and pretty when served on a bed of Iceberg lettuce. Thanks for this recipe!