Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from the Southern Heritage Company's Coming Cookbook, one of Mary Lily Flagler's dinner party recipes, served at Whitehall in Palm Beach, Florida.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 314.66 ml uncooked rice
- 4.92 ml salt
- 177.44 ml raisins
- 0.59-1.23 ml red pepper flakes
- 1 inch piece gingerroot (grated or finely minced)
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml orange juice
- 14.79 ml fresh parsley (chopped ~ OPTIONAL)
- 14.79 ml grated orange zest (zest navel oranges before juicing)
- 59.14 ml almonds (slivered and toasted)
- Melt butter in a small dutch oven, or medium sized sauce pan, over medium heat.
- Add rice, stirring constantly until rice is lightly browned.
- Add salt, raisins, red pepper flakes, grated ginger-root, chicken broth, and orange juice.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley (optional), grated orange zest, and toasted almonds.
This is a splendid side dish. I wouldn't change a thing. Made for Photo Tag Game. :)
Yummy stuff.. I made this with sweet butter (unsalted), Basmati rice from a Persian grocers which I rinsed and soaked about 30 minutes before beginning, sea salt to taste, Thompson raisins and yellow raisins for more colour, a small dash cayenne pepper powder instead of red pepper flakes, home made chicken stock, the optional fresh parsley, plus the rest of the ingredients. I served this with Joojeh Kabob (Persian Style Grilled Chicken), recipe#593927 and Fastest Ayran Ever with freshly squeezed lemon and dried mint added for a good meal. I might make this again. Made for "I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag.
Wonderful rice dish! I used ghee in place of the butter but otherwise didn't change a thing. And we will make this again for sure, it's so yummy :) Thanks for posting!<br/>Made for Sweet December Game.