Adapted from the Southern Heritage Company's Coming Cookbook, one of Mary Lily Flagler's dinner party recipes, served at Whitehall in Palm Beach, Florida.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 inch piece gingerroot (grated or finely minced)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped ~ OPTIONAL)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (zest navel oranges before juicing)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds (slivered and toasted)
- Melt butter in a small dutch oven, or medium sized sauce pan, over medium heat.
- Add rice, stirring constantly until rice is lightly browned.
- Add salt, raisins, red pepper flakes, grated ginger-root, chicken broth, and orange juice.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh parsley (optional), grated orange zest, and toasted almonds.