Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Orange Peel Shrimp Like the one from PF Changs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until frothy. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two or three batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Add more oil to skillet if necessary for remaining batches.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Add orange juice, zest, soy sauce, and sugar. Boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet; add scallions, and cook until heated through and coated with sauce, about 1 minute.
Wow, this recipe is addictive! I need to order a large bag of sesame seeds so we can have this at the drop of a hat. Our orange taste was especially sweet, as I had mini Temple Oranges bursting with flavor. It only took about 1 minute for each side of shrimp. Can wait to make this again! Made for I Recommend tag, based on Karen Elizabeth's review.
HOW exciting would it be? If YOU tried this FANTASTIC recipe! Could not help, continued to eat, A restaurant quality recipe for sure CANNOT be beat! SO simple, easy to do! GREAT for entertaining or when you want something quick and YUMMY too! THANKS!
This dish was sooooo tasty!! I was searching for a recipe to use scallions I had on hand, when I came across this. Very glad that I did!!! It was simple, I had all the ingredients on-hand, and with a little prep, it came together fast. The taste was restaurant-quality. Will definitely make this over and over again, maybe even switching out chicken tenders for the shrimp. Thanks Bet0625 for a tasty dish!