Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Orange Peel Shrimp Like the one from PF Changs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until frothy. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Working in two or three batches, cook shrimp until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Add more oil to skillet if necessary for remaining batches.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel. Add orange juice, zest, soy sauce, and sugar. Boil over high heat until syrupy and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 4 to 5 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet; add scallions, and cook until heated through and coated with sauce, about 1 minute.
Wow, this recipe is addictive! I need to order a large bag of sesame seeds so we can have this at the drop of a hat. Our orange taste was especially sweet, as I had mini Temple Oranges bursting with flavor. It only took about 1 minute for each side of shrimp. Can wait to make this again! Made for I Recommend tag, based on Karen Elizabeth's review.
HOW exciting would it be? If YOU tried this FANTASTIC recipe! Could not help, continued to eat, A restaurant quality recipe for sure CANNOT be beat! SO simple, easy to do! GREAT for entertaining or when you want something quick and YUMMY too! THANKS!