Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from a Southern Living Magaznine. Everyone seems to love it! The Orange pecan icing really adds to the bread!
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 medium mashed ripened bananas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
For the Orange Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Place 1 cup of the pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until toasted.
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans, and vanilla.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 8 by 4 inch loaf pans. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of pecans evenly over batter in the pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean and sides pull away from the pan, shielding with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, stir together powdered sugar, orange rind, and orange juice until blended.
- Cool bread in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pans to wire racks.
- Drizzle orange icing evenly over warm bread and cool for 30 minutes on wire racks.