Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Lean Beach Cuisine - A Collection of Healthy Coastal Recipes" by Jewel Cammarano, I've modified the original recipe, adding orange extract in place of vanilla extract. I love oranges and pecans, so this recipe just called out to me!
- 2 large egg whites (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 cup skim milk (or 1% milk)
- 1 tablespoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin tin with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Add the maple syrup, orange juice, milk, extract, spices and orange peel.
- Mix with a wooden spoon, until well blended. Stir in the oats, flour and baking powder until all ingredients are moistened. Fold in the pecans.
- Fill 12 muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until muffin tops are golden and spring back to the touch.
These have a great flavor, but turned out a bit dense. Either some added fat is needed, or All-purpose flour instead of whole wheat. I think I would add about 1/8 cup canola oil (and decrease milk). The orange-maple-pecan combo is great, though, and they are just right, sweetness-wise.
These muffins have a very good taste. Almost no fat, that's great. I used 1 large egg instead of 2 egg whites. I used 2% milk cause that's what I had. I used more cinnamon cause I didn't find allspice. I didn't have rolled oats so used quick oats. And I used all purpose flour. Thanks FloridaNative :) Made for Holiday tag