Recipe by Nana Lee
Here's another Halloween treat. Found on BakeSpace.com.
Top Review by callmebubbles
These were great for Halloween. I didn't have cider vinegar so used rice wine vinegar after reading through the recipe and deciding the acid was used for chemical reaction not taste so much. Would definitely make again.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (sugar substitute) or 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular (sugar substitute)
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
- 6 ounces miniature milk chocolate chips
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
- In small mixing bowl, use electric mixer to combine cream cheese, egg and sugar.
- Blend in 2 drops yellow food coloring and 1 drop red food coloring, adding more coloring, if necessary, to reach desired shade.
- Use wooden spoon to stir in chocolate chips; set filling aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In second small mixing bowl, combine water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Add contents of small mixing bowl(liquids) to large mixing bowl and stir with wooden spoon to combine.
- Fll cupcake liners half full with batter, then place 1 teaspoon filling inenter of each. (Try not to get filling near edges of batter).
- As cupcake bakes, the batter will rise to surround the filling.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes or until cupcakes test done.
- If desired, frost with orange icing or just let the orange filling ooze out as a surprise.