Recipe by COOKGIRl
From that fun recipe site mrbreakfast.com with a couple of changes... Go ahead and play around with the milk/orange juice proportion if you are aiming for a more pronounced orange flavor.
Top Review by crunchymomof2
I enjoyed the orange flavor this recipe gave. My 10 yr old (who is not a fan of oatmeal) did not. I did not add the banana b/c I was using things I had on hand. I added brewers yeast, cinnamon, flax seed oil & dark brown sugar to the oatmeal when it was done.
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 cup old fashioned oats (NOT quick cooking)
- 1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 small banana, peeled and sliced
- toasted walnuts or almonds
- brown sugar or honey
- raisins or cranberries
- grated orange zest
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the orange juice, milk and salt. Bring mixture to an almost boil.
- Slowly stir in oats.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow oatmeal to stand covered for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, stir in the nutmeg and top each serving with banana slices and additional suggested toppings of your choice. ( For myself, I add all the toppings!).
- Serve warm.