Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tartine Bakery, San Francisco, CA
- 1 1⁄2 cups zante currants
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 large whole egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh orange rind
- 1 1⁄2 cups old fashioned oats
- In a small bowl, combine the currants and warm water to cover; set aside for about 10 minutes until the currants are plumped; drain well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on med-high speed until light and creamy.
- Slowly add in the sugar and mix on medium speed until light in color and fluffy.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- Add in the whole egg, egg yolk, vanilla, corn syrup, molasses, salt, and orange zest; beat until well mixed.
- Stir in the flour mixture, currants, and oats until incorporated.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
- Working on a large sheet of parchment paper, shape each portion into a log about 14 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.
- Gently press each log to give it an oval shape.
- Wrap tightly in parchment paper or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator or freezer overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°; line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap logs; using a sharp knife, slice the logs into ovals about ¼ inch thick.
- Arrange the ovals on the prepared baking sheet; bake 7-10 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned but the centers remain pale.
- You may bake both pans at the same time, but rotate then 180 degrees at the midway point if they are not baking evenly.
- Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool.
- The cookies will be soft when they cool; they will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
they smell of christmas!!