Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a wonderful cookie recipe for those who love oatmeal cookies and also orange-flavored cookies. They are chewy, not crispy, and are fairly quick-cooking!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups rolled oats
- In large bowl of mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy; beat in egg, orange zest and juice.
- Gradually beat in flour, baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg until mixed.
- Add oats (I used quick-cooking oats, but I think that old-fashioned or rolled oats would improve the texture.).
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake in 350° oven until golden around edges.
These were okay. The consistency was pretty good, but they didn't really have much flavor as I don't like nutmeg and left it out. I added cinnamon and they were okay. Not great, but passable. I wish they had more of an orange flavor. I added an extra 1/2 tsp. of zest, which didn't seem to do much good either. I probably won't be making these again.
Oooh, these are good! They are just how I like cookies, too...chewy, not overly sweet but lots of flavor, good texture from the oats. They seem healthy enough that I don't even mind the kids having extras (happy, happy kids! ;o) I subbed cinnamon for the nutmeg (personal preference), and wasn't sure from the recipe of the cooking time, but 12 minutes seemed about right, plus another 2 min cooling time on the pan. I got about 3 dzn 3" cookies. I think next time I might add some sultanas (golden raisins) as I think they would complement the flavors well and I love oatmeal and raisins together. I used white flour but this would also be a good whole wheat recipe. Actually, as I think about it, these would make really good breakfast cookies...I might have to add in some flax and wheat germ to the next batch and send them off with dh, who always seems to have breakfast on the run. ;o) Thanks so much!!