Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
From a book called The Healthy Kitchen by Andrew Weil and Rosie Daley
- 115 g butter, at room temperature (or Spectrum Spread)
- 1 egg (or substitute)
- 40 g mashed ripe bananas (about 1/2 a banana)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 7.39 ml orange rind (grated)
- 125 g whole wheat flour
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 120 g rolled oats
- 20 g desiccated coconut
- 60 g chopped walnuts
- 75 g sultanas (OR 90 g dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream butter and egg together until well blended and smooth. Gradually beat in the banana, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Add the orange zest. Mix well with a wooden spoon until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, slat, baking powder, oats, coconut, walnuts, and sultanas or chocolate chips. Use a wooden spoon to combine dry ingredients until they are evenly mixed. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until there is no sign of dryness.
- Grease or line a baking sheet. Drop heaping tablespoonsful of the dough onto the greased baking sheet, leaving 5cm (2 inches) space around each one, and press down to lightly flatten. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.