Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
All thoughts of calories must be set aside while you plunge into these interesting special-day waffles. Orange Nut Waffles with Orange Syrup were originally printed in Bon Appetit (December 1981). I haven't tried these waffles yet but am planning on trying this very soon. When I make them I will be omitting the liquor in the syrup, replacing with juice.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon Curacao (optional)
- 1 coarsely grated orange, rind of
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in medium bowl until thickened.
- Add milk, orange juice and orange peel and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add flour mixture, blending well.
- Stir in walnuts and butter.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff.
- Fold into walnut mixture.
- Bake waffles in waffle iron, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve immediately with Orange Syrup.
- Orange Syrup (makes 1 2/3 cups).
- Combine sugar and orange juice in small saucepan and bring to bowl over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in remaining ingredients.
- Let cool completely.
- Strain into jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Reheat syrup before serving.
My new waffle iron arrived today, so naturally I had to try it out immediately! I didn't feel like the Orange Syrup, so I didn't make it...I didn't have the nuts, so that was skipped, too...I added 1 tsp. of orange extract to increase the orange factor, but the orange flavor was barely noticeable...I used a half cup measure of batter for each waffle (for a 6 inch round Belgian) which yielded 5 waffles...UPDATE: I've since re-tried the recipe...In my second attempt I did as before (read above), except I tripled the amount of orange zest and this time achieved the orange flavour level I'd hoped for...Thank you for posting this recipe!
What wonderful waffles, big, thick, light, very flavourful and easy to make. The syrup is great and compliments the waffles beautifully. I substituted Grand Marnia and Malibu Rum for the dark rum and Caruaco, it was what I had on hand, because they are sweet I decreased the sugar by 1/4 cup. Thanks for sharing this treat Ellie. I'll be making these again.