Recipe by ellie_
All thoughts of calories must be set aside while you plunge into these interesting special-day waffles. Orange Nut Waffles with Orange Syrup were originally printed in Bon Appetit (December 1981). I haven't tried these waffles yet but am planning on trying this very soon. When I make them I will be omitting the liquor in the syrup, replacing with juice.
Top Review by Cookin'withGas
My new waffle iron arrived today, so naturally I had to try it out immediately! I didn't feel like the Orange Syrup, so I didn't make it...I didn't have the nuts, so that was skipped, too...I added 1 tsp. of orange extract to increase the orange factor, but the orange flavor was barely noticeable...I used a half cup measure of batter for each waffle (for a 6 inch round Belgian) which yielded 5 waffles...UPDATE: I've since re-tried the recipe...In my second attempt I did as before (read above), except I tripled the amount of orange zest and this time achieved the orange flavour level I'd hoped for...Thank you for posting this recipe!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, strained
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon Curacao (optional)
- 1 coarsely grated orange, rind of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in medium bowl until thickened.
- Add milk, orange juice and orange peel and mix thoroughly.
- Gradually add flour mixture, blending well.
- Stir in walnuts and butter.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until stiff.
- Fold into walnut mixture.
- Bake waffles in waffle iron, according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve immediately with Orange Syrup.
- Orange Syrup (makes 1 2/3 cups).
- Combine sugar and orange juice in small saucepan and bring to bowl over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Blend in remaining ingredients.
- Let cool completely.
- Strain into jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Reheat syrup before serving.